Friday, June 12, 2009

Thanks!!!

Thanks to everyone who has sent me a summer recipe. I tried a few last night, and I must say they were very very good. I made monkey bread, Italian beef tarts, south-western tacos, and some kind of Mexican dip.
I used some of the leftover soft tortilla shells and spread the Mexican dip on them. Then I rolled them up and sliced them. After about 30 minutes in the fridge they were awesome. Well Daddy and I thought they were. Tim and mama weren't convinced.
Tim liked the tacos and monkey bread, and to my surprise he tried the tarts and dip. I could tell by his face that he wasn't impressed with either of them. Mama didn't like the dip either. It was tangy and zesty. Maybe that was what threw them.
This was my first attempt at all four dishes and I was pretty happy with how they turned out. They weren't the prettiest dishes I have ever seen, but hello I am not Rachel Ray!
My camera battery is still dead so no pictures. Sorry! I know I am slacking! I am shooting Miss Kendra's birthday party tomorrow and then Homecoming at Red Oak on Sunday. So I will be posting pictures soon.
If you are still sending me recipes great!!!!! Keep sending them! I love how different everyone is and unique. Homecoming is still a week away so I have plenty of time to practice.
I would love to find some dishes that don't have to be put in the oven. Tim doesn't have the kitchen finished at his apartment yet, so I only have a microwave there. I will be cooking most of the dishes at my house, but then I will have to transport them (along with the 21 buckets of KFC chicken) to Tim's and then on to church. Someone sent me a wonderful recipe for a corn and veggie salad. The corn can be defrosted in the microwave and then you just add your veggies. That will work out perfect. More ideas like this one would be great.
Usually everyone makes traditional dishes like fried chicken, green beans, corn, chicken and dumplins, cornbread.......etc...
I like traditional, but with a twist. Something new and different.
Remember think summer, think easy, think something that can be easily transported across a windy, curvy mountain, think something that could feed at least 200 people, and finally something that can sit out in the hot hot sun for at least 5 hours without sending anyone to the hospital!
Ohhhh and several of you have said that you can't believe I will be riding in a hot hot car for more than 45 minutes with 21 buckets of chicken. It isn't really that bad. I open the sunroof, roll down the windows, crank up the radio and let the wind blow in my hair. Okay well there are some downfalls. Such as smelling like chicken for the rest of the day.

0 comments: